Re: LSA-1 rule

Les, I'm confused by your message about the LSA-I classification of the triti-
ated water you wanted to ship.  I've just completed a one day course on the
revised DOT regs so I thought it would be a useful exercise to take the infor-
mation you gave and to look back at the DOT regs.  I can't see any way that
tritiated water would be considered to be LSA-I unless you were trying to use
definition (1)(iv) under Low Specific Activity (LSA) Material.  I have always
inferred that (1)(iv) was meant to apply only to solid materials because the
list provided in (1)(iv) (immediately before the mention of "activated mater-
ial") lists only solid materials.  It's useful to have the confirmation that
DOT really did mean only solids under LSA-1 definition (1)(iv).

Here's what I'm wondering:  did DOT tell you that LSA-1 as a class was not
meant to apply to liquids?  As you point out, there are a number of references
to LSA-I and liquids, and LSA-I definitions (1)(ii) and (1)(iii) clearly
include liquids.  I'd appreciate the clarification.

Regards,
Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University
dupre@princeton.edu