LSA-1 rule

An interesting note (glitch?) with regard to
the new DoT rules.  We were interested in shipping
some triated water that met the LSA-1 requirements.
The USDOT reg has the provision for 'activated
materials' in the LSA-1 definition.  [Note that this
provision is not currently in the IAEA rules so
that an international shipment is not permitted.]

Table 8 even has an entry for LSA-1 liquids and
specifies an IP-1 package.

173.427(c)(2) restricts LSA-1 liquids to specific
specification packages, but IP-1 is included by
indirect reference via another paragraph.

BUT .....
It turns out that they were thinking of SOLID
acivated materials when this provision was added.
So despite a simple (simplistic?) reading of the
rule, what is said is not what is intended.

[One can hope that further analysis will allow
what was not thought of, but for now it is
forbotten.]  Onwards to LSA-II/IP-2......

Much assistance for our valuable resource at DoT
was needed to figure this all out.  I suspect that
more such glitches will show up.  I hope others
will share them.

A little risk adds spice to life.
slaback@MICF.NIST.gov