Re: Hoods for Iodination

Doug Turner wrote, in part

>By the way, I disagree with the advise to use stainless steel.  Iodine
>sublimes and plates out on cooler surfaces (such as bare metal)

I have had the same experience with stainless steel some ten or so years ago
and believe that an intake of I-125 by a researcher was related to the
plating out of I-125 onto the stainless steel in the hood.  In addition,
nearly all of the stainless steel hoods that I have seen were badly damaged
after a few years by the acids used in them.

>I was able to unconditionally release one of the above hoods that was used
>to manufacture radioactive iodine-125 labelled biological compounds for
>approximately 2 years on a regular basis except for the filter elements.

The important point is "used to manufacture radioactive iodine-125 labelled
biological compounds."  For most researchers iodinating proteins or other
compounds with a few mCi of I-125, my opinion is that an ordinary fume hood,
without any filters, is sufficient.

Frank E. Gallagher, III, CHP
Manager, Radiation Protection
  and Radiation Safety Officer
Environmental Health & Safety Office    Phone:  (714) 824-6904
University of California                Fax:    (714) 824-8539
Irvine, CA   92717-2725                 E-mail: fegallag@uci.edu