Re: What's it worth ?

Joe Archer asked:

At 09:34 6/19/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>For a middle-aged white male with a B.S. (not in HP), presently working in
>>a radiation safety department, does the pursuit of the CHP certification
>>have any significant value in terms of marketability or salary ?   Anyone
>>with an opinion is welcome to respond but substantiated opinions are most
>>appreciated.

        My thoughts are that you SHOULD persue the CHP certification.  It is
a bench mark which indicates you have achieved a fundamental level of
knowledge in Health Physics.  Will it increase your marketability?  That
depends.  In general, I would think the answer is YES.  However, many
employers don't pay much attention to the certification credentials of a
person until they are forced to do so -- either by getting into trouble or
being told to do so by LAW.  I think that the future will be somewhat
different.  With jobs becoming more competitive and generally much harder to
find, the CHP credential will be one additonal factor that should weight the
evaluation of any application in a positive light.  Given the choice of a
CHP or someone that is not a CHP ... most everything else being equal.  The
CHP most likely will get the nod!!..

CAPT Jerry A. Thomas,  MSC, USN
Chief Radiological Physics
Department of Radiology/Nuclear Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD  20814-4799

mailto:thomas@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil
Phone:   (301) 295-3246