Re: What's it worth ?

At 09:39 AM 6/19/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>For a middle-aged white male with a B.S. (not in HP), presently working in
>>a radiation safety department, does the pursuit of the CHP certification
>>have any significant value in terms of marketability or salary ?   Anyone
>>with an opinion is welcome to respond but substantiated opinions are most
>>appreciated.

I have been a CHP for 24 years and have not changed employers during this
time period.  So I have not really determined if it makes an individual more
marketable.  However, I do have several comments.  (1) A salary survey
published in the Health Physics Society Newsletter about a year ago
indicated that, on the average, CHPs do make more money than non CHPs.  (2)
Mr. Murry Miles audited our program about 12 years ago.  (Nuclear Navy
personnel know this name well.)  When he comes to your office to talk to
you, you know that you are interviewing for your job.  I was one of the few
people he did not come to visit. (Thank goodness). CHP qualifications were
enough for him.  (3) We are not seeing many jobs advertisements these days.
However, a few do indicate that they would prefer a CHP or an individual
qualified to take the exam.  In summary, if you think that you have a shot
at passing it, it is probably worth a try especially if your employer will
pick up the tab.

John Lobdell, Ph.D., C.H.P.
lobdell@HiWAAY.net

These thoughts are definitely only mine.