Re: Waste Disposal at Universities

Kent:

At Rockefeller University we were forced to pass cost to the users but I did
not want to charge directly for waste disposed fearing that some of the
waste would find other routes of disposal.  We charge a basic monthly fee
for using radioactive materials, then we have a charge per mCi purchased
with a cheaper price for short-lived materials that are decayed in-house and
another about five times higher for long-lived materials.  This has forced
investigators to purchase only what they need, particularly in terms of
long-lived materials.

We don't find chemical waste coming into the radioactive stream and I find
the investigators fairly responsive in minimizing the volume of waste
produced.  We talk about waste minimization whenever we have an occasion.

  Esmeralda Party
  Assistant Director,
  Laboratory Safety & Environmental Health
  The Rockefeller University
  1230 York Ave
  New York, NY 10021
  Phone: (212) 327-8324;  fax: (212) 327-8340
   e-mail: partye@rockvax.rockefeller.edu