Re: Waste Disposal at Universities

HERE ARE MY ANSWERS TO KENT LAMBERT'S WASTE DISPOSAL QUESTIONS.

>I was wondering how other radiation safety offices at universities handle
>the cost of radioactive waste disposal.  Here are the questions:
>
>1.  At your facility, does the RSO pay for disposal and charge the
>researcher prorata based on volume generated?

               YES.  WE CHARGE MORE (BY APPROX. A FACTOR OF 4-5) FOR
LONG-LIVED WASTE THAN WE DO FOR SHORT-LIVED WASTE HANDLED BY STORAGE FOR DECAY.

>    a.  How does one assure that waste is not hidden away (e.g., in a
>closet) to avoid charges?

               ALWAYS A PROBLEM.  WE DO OUR BEST TO FIND SUCH WASTE DURING
ROUTINE SURVEYS.

>    b.  Does this lead researchers on with little grant money to dispose of
>waste in alternative, less expensive waste streams (e.g., regular trash)?

               NO, BUT SUCH RESEARCHERS MAY STORE WASTE IN THEIR LABS FOR
LONGER THAN OPTIMUM.

>    c.  If a principle investigator (or a whole department) leaves the
>institution and leaves radioactive waste or contamination which results in
>the generation of radioactive waste who pays for the disposal?

               USUALLY THE DEPARTMENT.  THIS CAN GET STICKY AND LEAVE
RADIATION SAFETY AS THE BAD GUYS.

>2.  At your facility, does the researcher pay for the cost and the RSO only
>act as the facilitator by negotiating the contract with the broker,
>arranging for pick-ups, etc.

               NO.

>3.  At your facility, is waste disposal a part of the RSO budget?

               ONLY A VERY SMALL TOKEN AMOUNT THAT COVERS A TINY PORTION OF
THE COST.

>4.  At your facility, does the RSO collect a surcharge for the purchase of
>long lived radioactive wastes as a mechanism to collect waste disposal >costs?

               NO, BUT THIS IS PROBABLY A BETTER WAY TO DO IT THAN SO MUCH
PER GALLON AND/OR CUBIC FOOT.

Once I became an RSO, much of what I needed to know did not come from even
my more advanced Health Physics courses.

Frank E. Gallagher, III, CHP
Manager, Radiation Protection
  and Radiation Safety Officer
Environmental Health & Safety Office    Phone:  (714) 824-6904
University of California                Fax:    (714) 824-8539
Irvine, CA   92717-2725                 E-mail: fegallag@uci.edu