R.e.Waste Disposal at Universities

I do not recall this aspect of the subject being mentioned, so here goes!
As far as costs go, how many of the researchers when applying for grants-
NIH, etc-specify costs/ask for money to cover the cost of disposal? I know
that some granting agencies will throw out/not consider funding for waste
disposal, but if you do not ask, you will not get! If it is in the
researchers budget, the Institution can recover some or all of the cost.
If not, either the Institution must pay (it is possible to recover this
cost thru an "administrative overhead" cost for each researcher) or the
researcher must use money allocated to other components of his research.
I suppose one argument for not including is that the researcher is charged
the admin. overhead for lab space, utilities, admin, etc, and this is part
of that, thus requesting money for waste will increase his request and it
will be viewed less favorably.  Perhaps only the accountants know who is
getting the short end, and they are not telling!!
My thoughts only, certainly not those of the VA!

William K. Tuttle III,PhD, RSO, VAMC,Portland
tuttle.w@portland.va.gov