Use of Thorium Nitrate

To: RADSAFE --EKSMTP

*** Reply to note of 06/21/96 14:09
From: J.M.Greco, OHSP, Radiation Safety Officer, 1/320/KP/2-6261
Subject: Use of Thorium Nitrate
Calgon in Pittsburgh, PA manufactures "organic phosphorus Reagent D"
which is 0.17% thorium nitrate tetrahydrate (and the balance water).
If my chemistry is correct, the solution is 0.07% by wt thorium, which
is greater than an exemption listed in some state regs for source material
(NYSDOL exemption is less than 0.05% by weight source material in any chem
ical mixture, compound, solution or alloy).

Although the concentration is greater than 0.05%, you may be covered
under a general license for source material - 15 lbs at any one time, or
150 lbs in any calendar year for commercial, industrial, or R&D work.
Check your state regs or CFR.

I believe it is used for water anaylsis for cooling towers, but am
not sure of the process.  Hope this helps.

 Joe Greco,  x83324               /\
 Radiation/Laser Safety Officer  <><> "Illegitimi non carborundum"
 e-mail:  jgreco@kodak.com        \/