Use of Thorium Nitrate

I'm looking for information on the use of thorium nitrate in analyzing water from cooling
towers/systems.

What is the interaction/process of interest?  I understand that this is a routine procedure
using a small amount of thorium nitrate solution being added to a sample of cooling water
but I don't know what is being analyzed.  What are typical amounts/concentrations of
thorium used?  Are there licensing requirements with the use of this solution and any
disposal restrictions?

Any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry Auman
Battelle Pantex
(806) 477-4502