Re: A question of ethics

Holloway3@aol.com wrote:

>           Since 99% of the patients would not be able to evaluate dosimetry
> information,
> I think you are asking for something that has no real value.  The answer you
> were given
> was appropriate for most of the patients they treat.
>
>                                                                        Robert
> Holloway

Howdy Radsafers,

This business of not informing patients of risk factors in the
cost/benefit analysis by the doctor is precisely why this string has come
up.  Most people can't decipher the information given them on the
ingredients list of a cereal box, does that mean the ingredients should
not be made manifest?  A doctor should explain the risk of having and not
having the x-rays.  This is hard when some doctors don't know that alphas
are particles, but full disclosure of risk should be made.  It is the
ethical thing to do.  Would you want to have open heart surgery without
full explaination?  In many peoples minds radiation poses more threat
than having one's chest cracked open.  I believe that this sort of thing
needs to be examined compassionately and ethically, not arrogantly.  The
questions by the patient should be answered, even if the doctor has to
research the answer.  The risk is not hard to explain.  Wasn't it Hellen
Keller who said that life without risk is a fantasy?  Let's here some
ethical responses Radsafers.

Robert A. Jones
RAJ6582@acs.tamu.edu