Ethics

From: "Notes.Domain  crwms%lngate"
To: Merritt, Kim D
Subject: Non-Delivery Report : Ethics
Date: Monday, June 24, 1996 11:49

The issues posted by Al Tschaesche were interesting and made me think.  I
believe as a professional society that we have an ethical obligation to
eradicate the public ignorance and fear of our science.  It also seems to me
that we are far less than proactive about  achieving this goal.  The HPS
issues position papers but who in the public ever sees them or could even
understand them?  We need to address people in a manner in which they can
understand us.  I think that educating the recipients of  radiation related
procedures is a start, but that is all it is.  We need to focus on the
general public.  Why aren't there chapters in high school physics books on
radiation?  Why aren't those proud CHP's out there interacting with the
community to educate them?  We can sit here telling each other that
something has to be done but we're not really doing anything.  I know that
the HPS has a public education campaign but it needs to be more public.  I
don't mean to rant and rave but this problem is one of my pet peeves.

The opinions above are my own.
Kim Merritt, RRPT
Sandia Labs
kdmerri@sandia.gov