Re: A question of ethics

In a message dated 96-06-24 17:04:32 EDT, Mr. Rinkacs wrote:

>>I have recently undergone back surgery and one of the diagnostic tests that
was done on me was a bone scan utilizing 29.4mCi of Tc99m.  Having some
"knowledge" regarding the risks of radiation, I did not ask for a disertation
on the risks of the procedure.  What I did ask for was an idea of what the
exposure would be from the Tc99m and got a resounding
"I don't know"!  I did not ask the MD, I questioned the nucmedtech.  My
question for the members of RADSAFE is "shouldn't the med tech have some idea
of the exposure or is it something that he/she is not allowed to talk
about/tell the patient?"<<

The dosimetry information is included with all the package inserts for the
radiopharmaceuticals.  I think you would be entitled to see these, just as
you would for a prescription drug you would take home and take orally.  The
tech would (should) have these readily available.  Or contact the pharmacy
from which the radiopharmaceutical was ordered.

Barbara L. Hamrick
L. A. County - Radiation Management
BLHamrick@aol.com