Re: A question of ethics

        Reply to:   RE>A question of ethics

Al's onto something here ...

I have taken a virtual trip with Professor Peabody (old USA cartoon reference
e.g. the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show for those who didn't know) in the wayback
machine to imagine a world of radiation regulations which developed in a world
without the Manhattan Project.  No ghastly pictures of radiation effects on
helpless atomic bomb victims.

Surely the advances in the nuclear sciences would have been slowed, but the
technology for creating nuclear power and artificial isotopes would have been
developed anyway.  But the big difference would have been that the government
would not have been able to achieve absolute ownership of byproduct materials.
 The use of radioactive materials in medicine probably would be subject to the
same rules as x-ray machines.  Industrial uses would have developed under free
enterprise instead or regulatory constraints.  There would never have been an
AEC or NRC controlling and licensing radioactive materials down to the last
nasty little atom.

Imagine also, if educational institutions could obtain some materials to
introduce the real concepts of radiation to kids in high school physics and
chemistry classes without the incredible regulatory burdens and tort liability
that prevent kids from gaining experience.

Yes, this is the real root of our problem.  The regulatory framework in which we
work, is self defeating because it confirms to the public that whatever
radiation is, it must be bad because even real dangerous things like handguns,
explosives, poisons, etc. are not even close to being as regulated and
restricted as radioactive materials.

Of course, most of us would be doing something completely different right now.
However, in a few years apparently, we'll all be looking for new jobs anyway
because radioactive materials and nuclear power will be regulated out of
existence...

...OH!  It was only a dream... What a nightmare!!!  Where is the true ethical
reality, Dr. Peabody?

Mike Bohan

Michael J. Bohan, RSO   |  e-mail: mike.bohan@yale.edu
Yale-New Haven Hospital |    Tele: (203) 785-2950
Radiological Physics    |     FAX: (203) 737-4252
20 York St. - WWW 204   |    As usual, everything I say may be plausibly
New Haven, CT    06504  |    denied at my employer's convenience ...