Re: REGULATIONS FROM SCRATCH

     Frank,

     Who's inertia are we talking about here?

     New Part 20 clearly states that we only have to monitor those
     occupational workers whose dose may exceed 10% of the annual limits.
     If you have pages and pages of dosimety data that indicate "Non
     Detected" it sounds like it would be easy to justify eliminating or
     greatly reducing this part of your program.  The justification for
     this is in all those pages of negative data.  If your researchers are
     handling a couple of hundred microcuries a week of P-32, I-125, or
     similar material, your dosimetry program is probably an archive from
     the early days of R&D.  Your used to the program and so are the
     researchers, everyone may be bored by the page after page of negative
     data but they are comforted by seeing it.  A reduction of your
     dosimetry program would require some work up front and probably
     additional training to make everyone comfortable.  But look at what
     you gain - less paperwork, less badges to track, decreased costs, and
     continued compliance.  Your workmans comp lawyers probably like all
     the negative badge data, but I don't believe you are correct in
     blaming the regulations for this particular complaint.  The
     regulations have changed - maybe not enough for everyone's
     satisfaction. In these days of tight budgets and even tighter
     headcount we must balance all aspects of our radiation safety program
     to ensure compliance.  If we elect to exceed compliance, then we have
     to be able to ensure that there is some value added to the program.

     Thanks for the opportunity to sound off,

     Michael Vala
     mvala@usccmail.bms.com