CALIBRATION OF CONTAMINATION DETECTORS

     RadSafers:

     I am not sure if the following topic has been discussed on Radsafe.
     When a detector is calibrated to measure surface contamination, which
     value do you use. 1) Deposited activity, 2) 4Pi emission rate supplied
     by the manufacturer, or calculate from 2 Pi, which includes
     backscatter and 3) 2 Pi emission rate supplied by the manufacturer
     including back scatter.  I am only interested in sources used for
     calibration of portable instruments such as pancake GM detectors,
     Alpha Scintillators and personnel contamination monitors used for
     measuring loose and/or fixed surface contamination. I have yet to see
     any reference in a standard as to which value should be used for
     calibration.  It is inferred that all release limits are based upon
     4Pi emissions or total activity, but have never seen that in writing.
     Any help or information will be appreciated.

     Thanking you in advance

     Riasp Medora
     riasp_medora@fernald.gov