Beta Skin Dose question -Reply

NCRP 106 "Limit for Exposure to Hot Particles on the Skin" describes
these studies.  Forbes and Mikhail (1969) exposed the skin of swine to
radiation from Cf-252 microspheres.  19 exposures were made with
point doses ranging from 2.4 to 74 kGy.  Exposure were acute, 2 to 3
hours.  However, I am not familiar with the study at Texas Tech.

David Harrison, HP
DOE Los Alamos Area Office
528 35th Street
Los Alamos, NM 87544
DHARRISON@DOE.LANL.GOV

>>> JIM AUSTIN <austinjd@songs.sce.com> 06/27/96 09:02am >>>

     I am an Instructor at a Nuclear Power Plant and I've heard rumors of a
     study done at Texas Tech? in which high activity particles were
placed
     on pigs in order to determine the total acute dose at which the
     earliest non-stochastic effect could be detected. Is anyone familiar
     with this study, and can you tell me the effect and doses involved?
     Also as an aside I'd like to know the reasoning behind the use of
     pigs.

     Thank you.

     Jim Austin
     austinjd@songs.sce.com