Re: Beta Skin Dose question

>     I am an Instructor at a Nuclear Power Plant and I've heard rumors of a
>     study done at Texas Tech? in which high activity particles were placed
>     on pigs in order to determine the total acute dose at which the
>     earliest non-stochastic effect could be detected. Is anyone familiar
>     with this study, and can you tell me the effect and doses involved?
>     Also as an aside I'd like to know the reasoning behind the use of
>     pigs.

The answer on pig skin being similar to human skin is correct. The study you
are asking about is at Texas A&M, not Texas tech. Dan Reece told me of the
study several years ago (actually, he called looking for hot particles to
use in the study), but I have no data on how the study progressed. The HP
Society directory gives his phone as (409) 845-4161.

Bob Flood
Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.
(415) 926-3793
bflood@slac.stanford.edu