131-I

To: RADSAFE --EKSMTP

*** Reply to note of 06/27/96 14:10
From: J.M.Greco, OHSP, Radiation Safety Officer, 1/320/KP/2-6261
Subject: 131-I
Reply to Janet Foreman, UNC/Chapel Hill, regarding I-131 therapy:

When I was a nuc med tech 12 or so yrs ago, I learned an important lesson
while performing a close out survey of a patients room.  I found minor
contamination in the expected places (phone, sheets, head).  I also found
general room contamination, but had trouble locating a specific source(s).
After spending too much time searching, the "light bulb" appeared.  I
checked next door and sure enough, the patient was also having radiotherapy
(don't remember the isotope).  Lesson learned:  always check background!

 Joe Greco,  x83324               /\
 Radiation/Laser Safety Officer  <><> "Illegitimi non carborundum"
 e-mail:  jgreco@kodak.com        \/