131-I

Supervisor, Radiation Dosimetry & Records
User ID-RUH; Mail Stop-4147;  Ext. 6-1973
I relay the following as an anecdotal addition to this thread. One of my
staff "experienced" a tread-mill stress test yesterday that involved the
use of Tc-99. He experienced the same absence of dosimetry information
that has been reported here, even though he was personally acquainted
with the technician who went to some effort, albeit unsuccessful, to be
helpful. As a part of our Dosimetry Operation here at the INEL, we have
a Canberra Fast-Scan whole body counter mounted in a trailer so that it
can be used at facilities remote from our central location. Out of
curiosity, he reported to the trailer for a scan, but succeeded in
swamping the detector system while standing in the door of the trailer.
To get the detector system "on scale", it was necessary to have him
stand outside the trailer, about 25 feet away. Unfortunately, we do not
have a calibration factor for this geometry. Do any of you have any
ex....(just kidding!) A subsequent background count with him back in his
office about a half mile away indicated that all had returned to normal.
This just emphasizes the many, vastly different, parts of the world we
live in!!!

I noted the pleasant experience with dosimetry info from medical
exposures that was passed on by our Australian Radsafer Colleague. Was
that due to a more enlightened emphasis in the training of medical
staff? a less frightening genesis for the use of radiation? However, it
occurs to me that if the medical community in the U.S. were able to take
a moreinvolved approach in this area, resulting in a better informed
public concerning the exposures that are typical of medical procedures,
the public would have a better perspective and no longer be concerned
about the trivial exposure associated with the nuclear power industry.

*** Reply to note of 06/27/96 12:02