RE: Regulations from scratch

At 03:57 PM 6/26/96 -0500, you wrote:
>We recently requested information from Radsafers regarding monitoring
>individuals in a university setting.  We've pursued eliminating a number
>of badges determined to be unwarranted.

> Education is the key.  The less time (and $$) we spend distributing,
collecting,
>analyzing, reporting... the more time for training.  Agree??     (Never
>realized I was a "soap box" kinda person!)
>
>Kathi Elliott
>Indiana University Medical Center
>kelliott@wpo.iupui.edu

Kathi,
  You hit the lottery!  "Training" or getting information to the worker is
essential and managements support of HP practices/policies is also
essential.  We have a lot of mistrust and misinformation to overcome to
succeed.  I've seen workers reach over radiation boundaries with little
regard for following rules.  Change the boundary sign to "Asbestos",
"Hazardous Chemical", Toxic Waste", or "High Voltage" and you get a
different behavior!
  Along with providing information we need to provide a good example to
workers at all times.  An example is a situation where an RP Technician
enters or reaches into an area with less protective clothing than workers,
the reasoning may be sound, they know the conditions and the consequences
but the workers see two standards: one for them and another for RP
personnel.  The conclusion they draw is that radiation is not a real danger
as the other hazards they encounter are...and in most cases they are right!
Its the case or circumstances where they can get significant exposure that
we have to prevent them from encountering.

Tony Hedges
RPT
loui19@vcomm.net