Re: 131-I, Blood, Sweat & Tears

There is only one item I would add to Mike Bohanan's excellent summary of
I-131 precautions:  be prepared for emesis.  One hospital I was associated
with had a patient vomit shortly after receiving 300 mCi of I-131.  It was
not a pretty sight.

Make that two items.  Although these patients are generally quite healthy,
there is still the possibility of cardiac arrest, etc.  You should have some
plan for this eventuality, including control of the numerous personnel who
show up before they are released.

Dave Scherer
scherer@uiuc.edu