I-131 Air Sampling -Reply

Silver zeolite is the medium of choice for iodine sampling primarily
because of its low affinity for noble gases; however, activated charcoal
should do nicely.  HEPA filtration does not "see" iodine.  HEPA filtration is
suitable for particulate radiation, not for gases and vapors.

DPH

>>> <brind002@mc.duke.edu> 06/28/96 07:50am >>>

     RadSafe,

     I am with the Rad. Safety Div. in the Occ. & Env. Safety Office at
     Duke Univ.  I am working on a radioiodine (I-131) project looking at
     the therapeutic use of I-131 in the hospitals.  One of the aspects of
     the project will be air sampling in patient rooms after the patient
     has been dosed.

     At this point in time I am considering going with a low vol. sampler
     (around 2 lpm) using activated charcoal tubes in conjunction with
HEPA
     filters.  Does this sound like a good idea (or not)?

     I would graciously welcome information/advice anyone might have
     regarding this type of air sampling (i.e. equipment use, flow rates,
     sample times, and any other suggestions)

     My e-mail address is brind002@mc.duke.edu

     Thanks,

     Jim Brindle