Re: 131-I, Blood, Sweat & Tears

>You mean pharyngeopulmonary edema sometimes leading to secondary
>cardiopulmonary arrest, etc.  There was already a long thread on patients
>who die shortly after administration of high dose I-131.

My comment was intended to direct attention to controling radiation hazards
during rescusitation efforts and controlling the spread of contamination by
the personnel who attend to patients during those efforts.  There may be
some overlap with the nursing staff who have received instruction in
radiation precautions, but there might be others who have not as well.
(These teams often come from several departments.)  In an emergency
situation, staff members are sometimes less focused on full contamination
precautions, and may treat the patient without the benefit of protective
clothing.

It seems to me that some thyroid patients could have concurrent but
unrelated cardiac disease.  There could also be severe reactions to the
iodide in some, as you note.  The planning I suggested would also be useful
in both cases.

The previous thread on handling the remains might also apply, but that is
another matter.

Regards,

Dave Scherer
scherer@uiuc.edu