From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: The Ethics Issue Continued
Date: Monday, July 01, 1996 10:05AM

With respect to providing information to the public about the effects of low
levels of radiation, the American Council on Science and Health Special
Report on Nutrition Accuracy in Popular Magazines (1992-1994) sparked a
thought that we might wish to use.  That document contains the statement "As
judge Manfred Kroger remarked, 'The public should always be informed that
the proportion of the scientific community these groups actually represent
is nominal.'"  The judge is talking about advocacy groups.
It would seem to me a good thing if, whenever an advocate for a particular
group states a position, that someone ask the question: "What percent of the
scientific community holds that position?"  The public would benefit from
the answer in many cases.  What does the RADSAFE community think of such an
idea?  Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov
Al  Tschaeche xat@inel.gov phone: 208-526-3383, fax: 208-526-7291