Re: Regulations from scratch

From: shand

          I agree with Kent Lambert and Frank Gallagher on the discussion
of dosimetry at a University where the majority > 95% of the returns
show less than 10 mrem.  I am a little bothered by one statement in
the discussion where Frank says "However, they will not lead to stochastic
effects," in lieu of the revised information published in Reg Guide 8.29.
Page 2 of the Guide gives a quote from the Committee about not departing
from the linearity of the conservative model, etc... paragraph 3 states
"In the absence of scientific certainty...the scientific community generally
assumes that any exposure to ionizing radiation can cause biological effects
that may be harmful to the exposed person...  It goes on about the magnitude
and probability etc...  I know I'm not writing anything new here, but when
I give training classes and talk about exposure levels I don't state that
the effects are 0 at a level above 0.  I tell users the above information,
that there is no conclusive evidence for or against, and that they are
accepting a risk by using the isotopes, no matter how small.  I try to show
them all of the ranges of exposures that do have information available on
effects (non-stochastic), and attempt to put into perspective the levels
of exposure they will probably receive based on the past history of their
peers conducting the same type of research over the past 10 years.
Is this the standard procedure others follow for their training and
is it okay to say that these levels will not result in a stochastic
effect, or am I not looking at this correctly ?  Thanks in advance
for all replies.

 steve hand
 umcp