Re: Re[2]: Radon Question from Occ-Med-Env

There may be some efficacy to the use of charcoal cartridge breathers for
radon work.  Charcoal (especially at lowered temperatures) exhibits a
certain affinity for noble gases, characterized by dynamic absorption
coefficients corresponding to an effective delay in transit, a feature of
charcoal beds used in offgas treatment systems for BWR steam jet air ejector
exhaust to reduce xenon and krypton species prior to stack release.  The
effect appears to be greater for larger atomic number, and could be
significant at normal breathing rates for decay of radon to daughters which
are more effectively filtered.

Don't ask me for the corresponding data for radon, but I would be surprised
if these measurements had not been performed in conjunction with research on
sampling or treatment/remediation.

Bob Hearn
rah@america.net
770-993-3927