Request for Historical Information and Sources

Under the current regulatory and public environment, the demise of
nuclear power in the United States seems inevitable (if not already upon
us).  Because I find the subject so interesting, I am currently putting
together a paper (perhaps for future publication) titled:

"Marketing the Atom, Implications for the U.S. Nuclear Industry"

I am sure that RADSAFE is just the place to ask for help.  I am most
interested in historical information and sources (primary references)
including early AEC charter, policies and decisions, etc. Being rather
young to the field (only 10 years so far and a shiny new MS in HP)  I
would like to draw on the deep experience of the HP community for this
work.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The tentative research problem is summarized below:

The radioactive atom was discovered barely a century ago.  In that short
time a large nuclear industry has grown in the U.S. around the major
peaceful uses of the atom: Nuclear Medicine, Industrial Nuclear Uses,
and Nuclear Power.  These subindustries actively market products and
applications for the radioactive atom.  What are the factors that affect
the success of these marketing strategies?:

1.  What were the key events, practices, and organizations that existed
in the U.S. during the early history of the discovery of the atom, the
elucidation of radioactivity, the recognition of medical and industrial
usefulness, and the engineering of the first atomic bomb that have
affected the way in which atoms were marketed over time?

2. When compared and contrasted, do Nuclear Medicine, Industrial
Nuclear Uses, and Nuclear Power differ in the success (or failure) of
marketing techniques and the ability of each to withstand poor public
relations events?

3. What role does the perception of 'risk' play  in affecting the outcome of
marketing strategies for the Nuclear Medicine, Industrial Uses, and
Nuclear Power?

4. What marketing techniques are most likely to be successful for each
of these subindustries to ensure that they remain viable in a highly
regulated and competitive environment?

Thank you for any direction, thoughts, ideas, or sources.
E-mail me directly if you like (or share your gems with the list!)

Larry Dauer
Radiological Engineer
(914) 736-8413
idauerl@ip3gate.usa.com