Re: RSO Support

     Folks,

        I am currently embroiled in discussion with Management regarding
     the appropriate level of support to be given to the post of RSO.
        I supervise ~38 users, under a 3M type of License, who conduct various
     sorts of radio-investigations including nucleotide labeling.

        I am looking for information from individuals, in Industry, responsible
     for Programs of similar size, sort and scope concerning the nature and
     structure of the RSO position and/or Radiation Safety Office.

        For example, is the post an ancillary one and if so, how much devotion
     is permitted to the effort?  If full-time, how is the support staff
     composed and what are their duties?  Are periodic responsibilities
     outsourced?  Does a significant budget exist for the training of personnel?
     Is the position provided as a service/support to Research sections or
     contained within the same?  What level or job class does the RSO and Staff
     (ARSO) hold and to whom do they report?  How well is the RSO compensated
     and would Management's position on the role of RSO and/or Staff be
     described as that of a caretaker or visionary?

        Response to the questions provided or any other information which would
     illuminate this area of concern would be greatly appreciated.  Naturally,
     direct all material to my attention.
        If interested, forward a note and I'll send a compilation of replies.
     Before I forget, this message should be received and considered duly
     disclaimed.

                                                        Thank you,

                                                        Jack T. Roque, RSO

     Jack.T.Roque@unilever.com