Re: RSO Support

     Folks,

        I am currently embroiled in discussion with Management regarding
     the appropriate level of support to be given to the post of RSO.
        I supervise ~38 users, under a 3M type of License, who conduct
     various sorts of radio-investigations including nucleotide labeling.

        I am looking for information from individuals, in Industry,
     responsible for Programs of similar size, sort and scope concerning
     the nature and structure of the RSO position and/or Radiation Safety
     Office.

        For example, is the post an ancillary one and if so, how much
     devotion is permitted to the effort?  If full-time, how is the support
     staff composed and what are their duties?  Are periodic
     responsibilities outsourced?  Does a significant budget exist for the
     training of personnel? Is the position provided as a service/support
     to Research sections or contained within the same?  What level or job
     class does the RSO and Staff (ARSO) hold and to whom do they report?
     How well is the RSO compensated and would Management's position on the
     role of RSO and/or Staff be described as that of a caretaker or
     visionary?

        Response to the questions provided or any other information which
     would illuminate this area of concern would be greatly appreciated.
        Naturally, direct all material to my attention.  If interested,
     forward a note and I'll send a compilation of replies.

        Before I forget, this message should be received and considered
     duly disclaimed.

                                                  Thank you,

                                                  Jack T. Roque, RSO

                                                  Jack.T.Roque@unilever.com