Re: Evaluation of O'Dou's Program

At 11:02 7/2/96 -0500, David G. Rynders wrote:
>Dear Radsafers,
>	I am preparing for Part 1 Exam in July.  I have Thomas O'Dou's
>Radiation Safety Examination Review program (both the 1989 and 1991
>versions).  My concern is that what the program covers does not seem
>to match what the ABHP manual lists for subject areas. Or I might be
>interpreting the manual correctly. I was wondering if anyone has any
>opinions on the program either way.

I successfully passed Part I in 1994 and used O'Dou's HPEXAM program for a
significant part of my preparation.  I found it to be useful and pretty much
on target.  I seem to remember a fair proportion of the test questions were
very similar to those in O'Dou's package.  I would encourage you to practise
with the O'Dou set (three tests at a time to imitate the 150 question ABHP
exam) and look up the correct answer every time you answer a question wrong.
By the time you complete the entire test bank you should be pretty well
prepared for the exam.  HPHELP was not particularly useful.  I found it was
better to use external references to research the correct answers.  Good luck.

Mike Lewandowski
Westinghouse/WIPP      voice(505)234-8419
PO Box 2078, MS-145    mikelew@tis.eh.doe.gov
Carlsbad, NM  88221
This message has not been reviewed by my employer and is not endorsed by
Westinghouse Electric Corporation or the Department of Energy in any way.
Opinions expressed in this message are my own.