Re: Dose Rates from Patients -Reply -Reply

In a message dated 96-07-10 16:14:49 EDT, Tad Blanchard wrote:

<< I agree with Keith, Kent and Wes... It's a high radiation area. >>

And I agree with Keith, Kent, Wes, and Tad...It's a high radiation area.

Kathi Elliot wrote:

<<10CFR35.315 states to post a radiopharmaceutical (and 35.415 for
implant patients) patient's room with a "Radioactive Materials" sign.
No mention of "radiation area." >>

That's because many of the patients to which 35.315 (and 35.415) apply will
not create (high or) radiation areas, such as a Sr-89 patient, or an I-125
implant patient, but they will qualify as having radioactive materials in
them.  Remember 35.315 and 35.415 do not apply solely to those patients
required to be hospitalized per 35.75.

20.1903 specifically exempts patients' room from the posting of caution
signs, including (high or) radiation area signs ONLY where the patient COULD
be released per 35.75.  In other words, if they are required by 35.75 to be
hospitalized, and are creating a field where an individual COULD receive in
excess of 100 mr in one hour, then the room must be posted as a high
radiation area.

Barbara L. Hamrick
Los Angeles County - Radiation Management
BLHamrick@aol.com

This is not an official communication of L.A. County or anyone else but me.