Re: Light Sensitive GM Tube

my understanding of UV suggests that UV will cause ionizations but only if
it is extremely energetic UV - most of the UV penetrating the atomosphere is
closer to 300-400 nm and this most likely not of sufficient energy to result
in ionizations.

At 06:20 PM 7/25/96 +0000, you wrote:
>     We have a Ludlum Model 44-7 thin end window G-M detector which appears
>     to have become light sensitive.  When the window is exposed to bright
>     light you get a significant response.  If you mask half of the window
>     you find that the response varies as you rotate the mask.  The
>     detector still responds appropriately to radiation and the background
>     is not inordinately high at normal indoor lighting levels.
>
>     Any thoughts as to the cause of the phenomenon.
>
>     Ed Pombier
>     Director
>     University of Miami Radiation Control Center
>     (305) 243-6369
>     epombier@mednet.med.miami.edu

paul charp (pcharp@worldnet.att.com)

a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind