Re: radon spas

There is a spa resort in Narechenski Bani, Bulgaria (E. Europe) that is
very actively used since Roman times.  Its water is slightly radioactive.
Narechenski Bani is nested in a narrow valley in Rhodopes Mountains
between the towns of Assenovgrad and Smolian. The resort is very popular
among the Bularian population: there are numerous state subsidized
sanatoriums and medical rehabilitation facilities that house tens of
thousands patients/vacationeers per month.

Information about Narechenski Bani resort and other spa resorts in
Bulgaria (some have also radioactivity in the water although not
advertized) may be obtained from the Balkantourist office in the Bulgarian
Embassy in Washington.

Radoslav Radev
Office of Radiation Safety
University of California at Berkeley
(510) 642-6167

Standard Disclaimer applies: all stated opinions and information are mine
and my employer is not responsible for the expressed views or statements.