Re: P32 antacids, and NCRP 65 -Reply

Why Ron, having a bad day are we?  How ya doin'?

Dave

>>> Ronald Morgan <rgmorgan@lanl.gov> 07/26/96 12:55pm >>>
Hang in there, Brian, there are jump-itis nerds everywhere (mabe he
doesn't know how to read...we should merciful and patient with the
worthless two-bit son-of-a bitch)

ps, how did the test go?               ron

At 01:14 PM 7/24/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Scherer wrote:
>
>"NCRP-65 states that Al hydroxide, Al physpohate, or a mixture of Al
and Mg
>hydroxide are recommended for treatment of non-radioactive
phosphorus
>poisoniong by ingestion.  They are provided in the NCRP report for
>reference
>and consideration only.  Concerns about intesitnal dose were
apparently not
>addressed.
>
>I have not read the paper, but I find it hard to believe that a snippet of
>information can be repeated out of context, apparently without
attribution,
>and make its way into a professional peer reviewed journal."
>
>In section 6.10, pg 89 NCRP 65 states: "Recommendations for treatment
of  >non-radioactive phosphorus poisoning by ingestion are included
here for  >consideration in the case of accidental 32P ingestion." ... there
are a  >number of recommendations, including gastric lavage with
potassium  >permanganate, 3% hydrogen peroxide, etc.   >The last
sentance states: "Use of aluminum hydroxide gel or aluminum
>phosphate gel (Section 7.3.2.7), or a mixture of aluminum and
magnesium  >hydroxide, can also be used to help prevent
gastrointestinal absorbtion."   >Section 7.3.2.7 is titled
"Aluminum-containing Antacids" and discusses the  >decreased
intestinal absorbtion of radioactive strontium, another bone  >seeker.  >
>That's how it made it into a peer-reviewed journal, attributed to NCRP
65.   >
>Brian Rees
>Los Alamos National Lab
>brees@lanl.gov