Re: Wear of Control Badge (Re: Extremity Dosimetry)

At 10:10 AM 7/23/96 -0500, you wrote:
>We have personnel wear their body badge at all times when working in
>restricted areas/radioactive materials.  We have them attach the ring to
>the body badge when not working with radioactive materials but in
>arestricted area.  At the end of monotoring period the extremity dose is
>the reported extremity dose minus the body dose.

When you report/record extremity dose, is it the actual dose to the extremity,
or the monitored dose?  For example, during a monthly monitoring period, the
extremity ring is worn the first 2 weeks only.  Let's assume the "true"
extremity dose for those 2 weeks is 1500mr and the WB (shallow) dose is 200mr.
Then during the remaining 2 weeks, the ring is hung off the WB badge and the
WB shallow dose is 300mr.  Hence, the monthly TLD readings would be 500mr WB
(shallow) and 1800mr ring.

I think everyone would agree that the WB shallow dose for the period is
the 500mr TLD reading.  The extremity dose is the shallow dose to the extremity
for the entire monitoring period, which I believe should be the 1800mr.  Some
facilities "record" the actual monitored dose to the extremity, 1500mr,
and then later "report" the "true" dose to the extremity for that month,
1800mr.  But according to your procedure, it appears that you would
report 1800mr - 500mr or 1300mr.

Am I missing something?  Could you better explain in light of my example what
you would record and what you would report to the employee and the regulator
for the monthly monitoring period?

Bob

      _/_/	   _/_/      _/_/_/_/   Robert M. Loesch
     _/	 _/     _/   _/     _/         US Department of Energy
    _/	  _/  _/      _/   _/         EH-52, GTN, 270CC
   _/	  _/ _/       _/  _/_/_/_/   19901 Germantown Road
  _/	 _/  _/      _/  _/  	    Germantown, MD  20874-1290
 _/    _/     _/   _/   _/         Tel: 301 903-4443;  Fax: 301 903-7773
_/_/_/        _/_/     _/_/_/_/   loesch@spok.eh.doe.gov
 "The definition of a public health disaster is a catastrophe so large
     that an epidemiologic study can detect it."    David Ozonoff