Re: Averill's Editorial

So, you would not be critical of an analogy that is equally invalid but
supported an opposing view?  Just because it was an editorial does NOT mean
that it only contains opinions.  Good editorials contain facts on which the
editorial opinion is based.  The discussions on this listserver have been
whether the analogy is appropriate.

A good analogy is extremely useful as a teaching tool whether it is the
public, radiation workers, or HP students.  Scientifically and/or technically
correctness does not necessarily mean boring.  Dr. John Allen Paulos is a
math teacher at Temple University whose undergraduate classes are standing
room only.

We need to remember that to get our message out (whatever that message is) we
must (1) maintain credibility and (2) state our message so that our audience
listens to it.  Observe any policical race to see this in action.

BTW, half of 212 degrees F is not 106 degrees F but 124 degrees below zero.
I think that hands in this temperature liquid would indeed suffer deleterious
effects.

--
Kent Lambert, CHP
lambert@allegheny.edu

All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say, they are not [necessarily] the
opinions of my employer. - paraphrased from Michael Feldman