Re: Plutonium detection levels/ correct interpretation

Michael McGuire's  comments on the correct definition of MDA are in agreement
with
my understanding of it.  The interesting thing is that most of the community
that uses
the MDA does not understand it as well as Mr. McGuire.  When I say most, I
mean at
least 80% of those using MDA's have a mistaken understanding.  It probably
does not do much harm but still it is bothersome because sometimes the ones
who do not understand it are making the rules for radiochemical laboratories
who must   calculate and use the MDA.  I think the major reason for the
confusion is the choice of the words
Minimum Detectable Amount for the dividing line between detects and
non-detects.  That leads people into believing that the MDA is that dividing
line when in fact it is not.

                                                                       Robert
Holloway

                                                                       Nevada