RELEASE LIMITS/CONTAMINATION VALUES

At 05:07 PM 8/6/96 -0500, Clark Gunion wrote:
>          The typical release limits identified in 10 CFR 835, 10 CFR
>          20, were based on Regulatory Guide 1.86.  Since I do not
>          have ready access to this reg guide, I am wondering if any
>          readers could explain the basis for these values (ie,
>          detection limit, dose-based, or?)?

The values in Reg Guide 1.86 are based on a 1974 version of  the N13.12
which is an instrument performance based standard.   The thought at the time
was the listed values were readily detectable for the covered nuclides and
the dose was within acceptable limits for public exposure.  The guide values
were selected and a dose evaluation was done with simple but conservative
methods. They considered three possible exposure pathways:  ingestion,
inhalation, and external exposure of the skin.

Joseph P. Ring
Harvard University
46 Oxford Street
Cambridge, MA 02138-1995