RE: Radioactive Diapers

We have place detectors at all exits to the hospital where waste may pass through.  This means that we are called in about 3 times a week.  Usually the trash is traced to an ICU bed.  We do not attempt to identify the patient once the ward is identified.  We find this preferable to receiving the waste back from an incinerator, especially since we transport to an out of state incinerator.  Also our on site incinerator is not allowed to burn radioactive waste.

I realize we are more sensitive than most as we are a military hospital--but our licensing authority is appreciative and so is the hospital executive committee.

Ira D. Miller, Maj, USAF, BSC
59 MDW

The opinions expressed are those of the author and not of the USAF or DOD