RE: EPA's authority in setting decommissioning standards -Reply

Well said, Bill. It's going to be VERY interesting to see what
happens in the radiation regulatory biz if the proposals
floating around to eliminate the DOE and severely downsize
EPA come to fruition. And let's not forget about FEMA ... how
could we? We may wind up backing ourselves into a single
federal radiation agency.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4244 International Parkway, Suite 114
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675  fax: (404) 362-2653
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> Spell, Bill <bills@deq.state.la.us> 08/08/96 14:30 >>>

And if one wanted to quote you on this, who would they say
said it????  I  think it is another example of EPA's wanting to
be the big dog in the  radiation arena but not having as big a
stick (or as much expertise) as the  NRC.  Now you see
another reason for states continuing to ask for a SINGLE
federal agency to deal with radiation matters ....and we have
for years.

The alphabet soup of agencies is almost as confusing to
states as it is to  the regulated community, and the states
seem to be becoming more like the  regulated community!
I'm glad I can see the day when I retire.

This is definitely my opinion, and I'm glad I said it.  I didn't
clear it  with anyone, and if I'm not here tomorrow, you'll know
why!  <GRIN>

Bill Spell bills@deq.state.la.us