Re: Visitor Procedures

Dear Eric,

Generally, it sounds reasonable to me.  10 CFR 19 (and similar regulations in
10 CFR 835) require that one familiarizes workers with the potential hazards in
an area.  Accordingly, it follows that one should be familiarizing personnel
with the fact that there is a potential hazard (however unlikely) of
radiological exposure.

We generally show a 20 minute video tape to all our visitors (good for one
year, so they don't have to do it each time they visit).  In certain
situations, we may use a written briefing or a short set of verbal instructions
from an HP Tech.  Visitors are always escorted by a qualified radiation worker.

Training generally covers what the signs mean, "mind your escort," hazards of
low level exposures, prohibited activities, etc.

Jim Barnes, CHP
RSO
Rocketdyne Division; Rockwell International (now, Boeing North American)