Rad Waste Characterization Guidance

To All,

This is a broad based question, however, any assistance or direction that
can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

We are currently embarking on the development of a site specific guidance
document at our facility.  This document is being written at the waste
generator level and is intended to provide guidance in the radiological
characterization of routine waste forms.  The document will identify the
specific situations in which assistance will be necessary from health
physics/waste management in determining waste package activity calculations.

Question:  Does anyone have a good reference or guidance document which can
be utilized that provides direction as to various calculational
methodologies or approaches that are used in the determination of
radioactive waste activity calculations based upon the waste type and
mechanism by which the waste is contaminated?

The activity determination of volume contaminated radioactive waste is
straight forward.  What I am looking for is recommended or industry practice
methodologies/guidance for waste types that are contaminated by surface
contact interaction such as contaminated components (e.g. pipes, sheet
steel, sheet metal, accessible tanks, inaccessible tanks, etc.) PPE, wood,
irradiated hardware, etc.

I am also interested in hearing from anyone who has developed innovative
approaches to radwaste activity calculations.

Any information that is provided will be greatly appreciated.  Please
respond to me directly unless you feel the information is pertinent to all
subscribers of Radsafe.  Thanks in advance.

Gregory R. Larson
RSWOG Ops Supervisor
Lockheed Martin Energy Systems
Oak Ridge National Laboratory