Re: Rad Waste Characterization Guidance

I've done some surface to volume conversions for both clothing
and laboratory trash at the radioactive liquid waste treatment
plant at LANL. These calculations have been accepted and
formalized on a facility-specific basis by the waste coordinator
side of the house, by the Group generating the waste, by the Group
responsible for DOT compliance
and by the Group that buries the waste. The results of the above
conversion calculations are consistent with NDA results.

In addition, I've assisted a small business in modifying their
code in order to evaluate NDA data generated from non-uniformly
distributed radioactive waste. See my dissertation (it's in DAI)
or Yakov Ben-Haim's book on the subject for the fundamentals.

In short, what you want to do is very doable (with management
support, of course).

E-mail me if you feel further information may assist in your
efforts.

At 08:33 AM 8/9/96 -0500, you wrote:
>To All,
>
>This is a broad based question, however, any assistance or direction that
>can be provided will be greatly appreciated.
>
>We are currently embarking on the development of a site specific guidance
>document at our facility.  This document is being written at the waste
>generator level and is intended to provide guidance in the radiological
>characterization of routine waste forms.  The document will identify the
>specific situations in which assistance will be necessary from health
>physics/waste management in determining waste package activity calculations.
>
>Question:  Does anyone have a good reference or guidance document which can
>be utilized that provides direction as to various calculational
>methodologies or approaches that are used in the determination of
>radioactive waste activity calculations based upon the waste type and
>mechanism by which the waste is contaminated?
>
>The activity determination of volume contaminated radioactive waste is
>straight forward.  What I am looking for is recommended or industry practice
>methodologies/guidance for waste types that are contaminated by surface
>contact interaction such as contaminated components (e.g. pipes, sheet
>steel, sheet metal, accessible tanks, inaccessible tanks, etc.) PPE, wood,
>irradiated hardware, etc.
>
>I am also interested in hearing from anyone who has developed innovative
>approaches to radwaste activity calculations.
>
>Any information that is provided will be greatly appreciated.  Please
>respond to me directly unless you feel the information is pertinent to all
>subscribers of Radsafe.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Gregory R. Larson
>RSWOG Ops Supervisor
>Lockheed Martin Energy Systems
>Oak Ridge National Laboratory