RE: Western Power Outage

In Message Sat, 10 Aug 96 20:33:39 -0500,
  Brent Rogers <brogers@MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU> writes:

<snip>

>I can't help but wonder if these outages would have happened if Rancho
>Seco, Trojan and Fort St. Vrain (all in the effected states) were still on
>the grid.

I live 25 miles from San Onofre and my power didn't fail!  However, nobody
has placed the blame for the outage on any GENERATOR, but on the
transmission lines and associated areas [current "theory" is that untrimmed
trees shorted out lines sagging in the heat, if you can believe that one].
Therefore, I don't think that nuclear power plants would have made any
difference at all.  It was the road, not the car that caused the crash.
>Brent Rogers
>brogers@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu
William G. Nabor
University of California, Irvine