Re: western power outage

In Message Mon, 12 Aug 96 07:03:17 -0500, ustuibvv@ibmmail.com writes:

<snip>

>As for your second question, I know gas plants can come back immediately,
>but I do not know about coal.

Depends again on how long they were out.  No thermal plant, gas, oil, or
nuclear can come back on line immediately from a truly cold state.  Pipes
would burst from the sudden heat difference.  They all have to warm up
slowly.  However, if they were kept warm by wasting fuel idling then maybe.

>Scott E. Bradley  (817) 897-5495            TU Electric
>Beeper: (817) 667-0659                      PO Box 1002
>E-Mail: sbradle1@tuelectric.com             MC M37
>    OR: ustuibvv@ibmmail.com                Glen Rose, TX 76043
William G. Nabor
University of California, Irvine