Re: Uranium Effluents

At 07:18 12.08.1996 -0500, you wrote:

>--???_???
>

>Dear Radsafers:
>Now that we are on the topic of uranium, I pose the following question:
>If an effluent pathway to the environment has a specific U-235/U238
>conentration lets say 10%, what is the probability that a effluent pathway
>environmental sample, lets say sediment, would have a greater than 10%
>conentration?
>

>Thanks in Advance
>
>Kevin Scott
>
>--???_???--

The  question marks I have on my printout after your name are valid:

I never heard of an "effluent pathway" to possess a "concentration". I never
read of a concentration given in percents. I do not know what a "specific
concentration" is. Could you please reformulate your question?

I hope that your question should not read "If an effluent stream contains
U-235 and U- 238 in a concentration ratio of 0.1 could there be the ratio in
a sediment sample greater than 0.1?" I certainly do not hope that this might
be the case, because then enrichment of U-235 would be a very easy
procedure, using biological processes and would help to produce and
proliferate nuclear bomb-grade material.....

Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Vienna, Austria
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 WIEN