University Rad Safety Structure

I would appreciate knowing what is the "structure" of your Radiation
Safety organization at your University. We are going through a
reorganization at Colorado State and wanted some input on the
relationship between the Radiation Safety Committee, the RSO, and upper
management at different universities.

Currently at CSU, the RSO reports to the Dir. of Environmental Health
Services who reports to the VP for Adminstrative Services. The RSO also
reports to the Radiation Safety Committee who, in turn, reports to the
VP for Research. There are no clear reporting lines from the Committee
to the VP for Admin, or clear lines from the RSO to the VP for Research.

The Jan/Feb issue of RSO mag had a brief note on a draft of NUREG-1516
which indicates a "triangular" structure for the RSO-Committee-Upper
Management. Does this structure exist at most universities or
organizations? Does it work well? Does the "box" structure like we have
at CSU work well for anyone?

Please respond to me directly at swebb@lamar.colostate.edu    THANKS