From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Release of Patients Receiving Therapeutic Doses of Radionuclides
Date: Thursday, August 15, 1996 10:37AM

Recently, the question arose at our facility as to what legal recourse we
have in preventing a patient from voluntarily leaving the hospital before
meeting release criteria. A query to our NY State Health Department
representative brought the response that we cannot prevent a patient from
leaving if they insist. This would also apply to patients receiving
permanent sealed source implants. Your comments/suggestions/advice would be
most appreciated.

Charles C.Chamberlain,Ph.D.
RSO, SUNY Health Science Center
Syracuse, NY