Re: Release of Patients Rece

<< Recently, the question arose at our facility as to what legal recourse we
 have in preventing a patient from voluntarily leaving the hospital before
 meeting release criteria. A query to our NY State Health Department
 representative brought the response that we cannot prevent a patient from
 leaving if they insist. This would also apply to patients receiving
 permanent sealed source implants. Your comments/suggestions/advice would be
 most appreciated. >>

This probably goes without saying, but that's not going to stop me:

One thing to consider when proposing radiopharmaceutical (or sealed source)
therapy for a patient is the patient's willingness and ability to cooperate
with the restrictions accompanying these therapies.  These should be
thoroughly discussed with the patient prior to the administration.  Just MHO.

Barbara L. Hamrick
Los Angeles County Radiation Management
BLHamrick@aol.com